Day Camp Registration will begin Friday January 31st!
2020 Summer Horse Camp for Children
- One and two-week sessions throughout the summer for children 8 to 15 years old
- Monday through Friday from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM
- A horse for each child to ride, care for and love the entire session
- A counselor skilled in leadership and horsemanship to supervise and instruct
- Special events such as: lunch rides, games on horseback, horse shows and drill teams
- 10-Day Camp: $1260.00
- 5-Day Camp: $675.00
- Riding boots, not hiking boots, and long pants, which are always to be worn around the horses
- Tennis shoes and shorts for vaulting
- Daily sack lunch, extra water and sunscreen
- ATSM/SEI-approved horseback riding helmet (the stables will provide one, if necessary)
1st year camp experience for children 8 – 14. Also suitable for 2nd year campers. A minimum of four riding lessons are required for first-time campers.
- The horse-parts, colors, markings, breeds
- Care of the horse-feeding, grooming, saddling, cleaning, and knot-tying
- Western tack-its use, care and cleaning
- Walk and trot with control and form
- Introduction to the lope
- Trail riding-rules and safety
- Vaulting (simple gymnastics on the moving horse) to improve balance and rhythm in riding
2nd or 3rd year camp experience for children 9 – 14 who have attended at 2 weeks of Garrod Horse Camp session; or older children with significant riding expertise.
- More extensive consideration of all of the subjects listed in the WESTERN A
- Learning to lope
- Equine first aid, diseases and common treatments
- Instruction in horse breeds, breeding, and training
- Feeds and feeding for particular needs
- Use of obstacle courses and figure work
3rd year camp experience for children 10-15 who have attended at least 4 weeks of Garrod Horse Camp or older children with significant riding expertise.
- Continued exploration and development of all subjects in WESTERN A and B
- Lead changes
- Practice Drill Team Work
- Individual Stock Seat Pattern work
- Continued Equitation Improvement
English A and B
English Riding Camp A for campers 10 – 13 who have completed at least 6 weeks of Garrod Horse Camp; or campers who have completed 4 weeks of horse camp AND are currently taking English riding lessons. Suitable for riders new to English style.
English Riding Camp B Riding camp for campers 12-15 who have been riding English and want to improve their seat. Must have completed English riding lessons and/or an English camp.
- All subjects in Western A, B, and C (except western riding)
- “Balance Seat” equitation and beginning dressage
- Basic caveletti work
- Technical skills such as mane and tail braiding, leg wrapping, and bandaging
- Horse exercise techniques
- Riding patterns
Advanced Western Riding Camp for campers ages 11 – 15. Campers will concentrate on trail riding and arena patterns. Campers will perform Gymkhana-type maneuvers. Must be able to walk, trot, lope with control and form. Must have attended a minimum of 6 weeks of Garrod Farms Summer Day camps or have instructor approval.
- Continue reviewing all subjects in Western A , B, and C
- Do Precision riding
- Test skills with gymkhana courses and trail courses
- Do advanced trail riding
- Learn to control and rate the speed of a horse
- Work with the horses’ individual needs
- Explore English style riding
Counselor’s Assistant Trainee (C.A.T.)
Designed for older youth 14 years old or completed 7th grade that have completed a minimum of 6 weeks of Garrod Farms Summer Day-Camp sessions, this program allows youth to assist the counselor. C.A.Ts will help with saddling and grooming horses, lessons and trail rides, and care for a horse of their own for the duration of camp. Youth must be competent riders. Must have instructor and management approval.
There is mandatory 1-day training prior to Summer Camp for all C.A.Ts. This will be on Sunday June 7th from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM.
- 10-Day C.A.T. Session: $650.00
- 5-Day C.A.T. Session: $450.00