Garrod Farms has hosted Summer Horse Camp for kids every summer since the late 1960s. It’s a great way for your child to both learn how to ride as well as how to care for these wonderful animals, as generations have done before.
SUMMER HORSE CAMP FOR CHILDREN
DAY CAMP INCLUDES:
- One- and two-week sessions throughout the summer for children 8-15 years old
- Monday-Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- A horse for each child to ride, care for and love the entire session
- A counselor skilled in leadership and horsemanship to supervise and instruct the children
- Special events such as: lunch rides, games on horseback, horse shows, and drill teams
- July 4th will be a half-day, finishing at 1pm.
- 2-week session $1540
- 1-week session $880
- Refunds are given up to 10 days prior to the first day of camp, minus a $100.00 cancellation fee.
- Cancellations made less than 10 days prior to the start of camp WILL NOT BE REFUNDED.
LESSONS PRIOR TO HORSE CAMP:
We recommend 4 riding lessons before the start of camp. This will give your child a head start with equestrian skills. Call the Stables Office to set up your pre-camp lessons: 408-867-9527.
- Horseback riding boots (NOT hiking boots – they MUST be riding boots!) which are always to be worn around the horses.
- Long pants for horseback riding.
- Tennis shoes and shorts for vaulting.
- Daily sack lunch, water bottles, and sunscreen.
- ATSM/SEI-approved horseback riding helmet (this can be purchased in the Stables Office, or one can be borrowed for the duration of camp).
Children must follow Garrod Farms rules at all times. Children must use the buddy system when on the property and must check out with the counselor before leaving camp.
FOR CAMPERS 8 AND 9 YEARS OLD
Campers will learn to:
- Lead, tie, saddle, bridle, groom their horses.
- Beginning equitation
- Common Horse Sense.
- Walk and trot, introduction to the lope
- Care of the horse-feeding, grooming, saddling, cleaning, and knot-tying
- Western tack-its use, care, and cleaning
- Trail riding-rules and safety
- Vaulting (simple gymnastics on the back of a horse) to improve rhythm and balance in riding
TAILS AND TRAILS
FOR CAMPERS 10 AND 11 YEARS OLD
- Walk and Trot with control and form
- Beginning Lope
- Equine first aid, diseases, and common treatments
- Instruction in horse breeds, breeding, and training
- Perfecting posture and position in the arena
- Trail riding
- Use of obstacle courses and figure work
FOR CAMPERS 12 YEARS AND OVER
- Continued exploration and development of basic skills and knowledge
- Lead changes
- Drill teamwork
- Individual Stock Seat Pattern work
- Continued Equitation Improvement
- Do precision riding
- Test skills with gymkhana courses and trail courses
- Advanced trail riding
- Learn to control and rate the speed of a horse
- Work with the horses’ special needs
ENGLISH STYLE CAMP FOR RIDERS 10 AND 11 YEARS OLD
- ‘Balance Seat’ equitation and beginning dressage
- Basic caveletti work
- Technical skills such as mane and tail braiding, leg wrapping, and bandaging
- Horse exercise techniques
- Riding patterns
- Continued exploration of basic horse and equitation skills and knowledge
ENGLISH STYLE RIDING FOR CAMPERS 12 YEARS AND OLDER
- Fine points of Equitation-form and control
- Precision transitions, dressage patterns
- Suitability of horse to rider
- Working with poles on the ground, and raised caveletti
- Jump patterns
For counselor’s assistant trainee (c.A.T.) Registration please call stables office: (408) 867-9527. This is a leadership position. Each camp has an opening for one C.A.T.
MANDATORY TRAINING JUNE 11th. 9:30-3:00
- Must be 14 years old or older on the first day of camp.
- Must have completed a minimum of 3 weeks of summer horse camp.
- Must have management approval.
- Must be a competent rider and know how to safely tie, groom, and tack up a horse.
- Expected to assist Counselor, including but not limited to: tacking up the horses, helping with lessons, being a ‘buddy’ to campers, and cleaning up camp.
- 2 weeks $852
- 1 week $632
Garrod Farms offers Beginning Vaulting Camp
Vaulting Camp June 12th-16th
Vaulting Camp July 10th-14th
Monday – Friday 8:30am to 11:30am
July 10th-14th – Book Now
Vaulting Camp August 7th-11th
Monday – Friday 8:30am to 11:30am
August 7th-11th – Book Now
YMCA & LOCAL REC DEPARTMENTS
Garrod Farms also offers day camps through the local recreation departments and YMCA’s. Check your summer brochures from these organizations for more information!