- 12 oz. Italian sausage links, cut into 1″ chunks
- 1 med. onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups tomato puree
- 2 cups beef broth
- 3/4 cup red wine
- 1/4 – 1 bell pepper, diced, to taste
- 1 cup zucchini, cut into 1/2″ half moons
- 8 oz. small mushrooms, cut in half
- 3/4 tsp. Italian mixed herbs
- 6 oz. pasta, cooked separately (bowtie, fusili, or elbow)
In a large saucepan, brown sausage with onion. Add garlic and cook 1 more min. Add tomato puree, beef broth and red wine. Bring to a boil, reduce and simmer 45 min. Add pepper, zucchini, mushrooms and herbs. Simmer 15 min. Just before serving add pasta and heat through. Serve with Parmesan cheese to sprinkle on top, green salad, and crusty French bread.
Chef’s Tip: Save the pasta water and use it to thin out the stew as needed without diluting the flavor.
Recipe by Chef Michelle Myers, Professional Culinary Institute, PCIchef.com
Accompany with Cooper-Garrod Cabernet Sauvignon